Core-Based Statistical Areas - CBSA
In the year 2000, the Office of Management and Budget updated the way market areas are defined under the acronym CBSA (formerly know by SMSAs, MSAs, CMSAs, etc.). Immediately prior to year 2000, (MSA) codes covered about 80 percent of the country, where as the new CBSA codes cover about 93 percent. If you would like to have both MSAs and CBSAs (a CBSA-MSA combination), call us and we could create a custom ZIP to CBSA MSA product for you. There are two major sub-classes in CBSA Codes:
- Population from 10,000 up to 50,000 people (a.k.a. Micropolitan Statistical Areas)
- Population of 50,000 or more people (a.k.a. Metropolitan Statistical Areas)
Due to the amount of data, the files are normalized to minimize the amount of duplicate information. The following files are included with this product:
- Zip‐CBSA - Contains one record for each Zip Code with the corresponding CBSA Code, Division Code, State Abbreviation, City, and County. Note: Rural records will not contain CBSA codes. Also, this file does not include military APO/FPO records, U.S. Virgin Islands and territories in the South Pacific.
- CBSA‐List - Contains CBSA Code, CBSA Name, CBSA Type (Metro, Micro), Latest Population Estimate, and Rank.
- State‐CBSA - Contains State Abbreviation and CBSA number for each CBSA in a state.
- Division - Contains the breakdown of each division within a CBSA. It has the latest population estimate for that division.
- CSA‐Master - Contains all CSA codes and corresponding CBSA codes.
- CSA‐List - Contains CSA number, CSA Name, Latest Population Estimate and Rank.
- State‐CSA - Contains state abbreviation and CSA number for each CSA in a state.
We are licensees of USPS database products, but we enhance our data based on decades of experience to provide you with the most accurate ZIP to CBSA product available.
Affordability and Simplicity
- Low Cost
- One Year Access
- Annually Updated
- Unlimited Downloads
- Unlimited User Licensing Available
- Money Back Guarantee
Cannot be resold, transferred, or used to compete with GreatData.com (as outlined in our license agreement
View the CBSA ZIP Code Product Documentation
Video - How to use the CBSA Spreadsheet
Video - Why Accuracy Matters
CBSA Codes with MSA Codes
(Core-Based Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Statistical Areas)
Medicare CBSA Codes Database
(Medicare Core-Based Statistical Areas)
Rural Urban ZIP Codes Database
(Rural Urban Suburban Codes)