Core-Based Statistical Areas - CBSA
Starting year 2000, the Office of Management and Budget changed the way market areas are defined under the acronym CBSA (formerly know by SMSAs, MSAs, CMSAs, etc.). Immediately prior to year 2000, (MSA) codes covered about 80 percent of the country, where as the new CBSA codes cover about 93 percent. If you would like to have both MSAs and CBSAs (a CBSA-MSA combination), call us and we could create a custom ZIP to CBSA MSA product for you. There are two major sub-classes in CBSA Codes:
- Population from 10,000 up to 50,000 people (a.k.a. Micropolitan Statistical Areas)
- Population of 50,000 or more people (a.k.a. Metropolitan Statistical Areas)
The following files are included with this product (The files are normalized to minimize the amount of duplicate information):
- Zip-CBSA-MSA.csv - This has one record for every Zip Code and the corresponding CBSA and Division codes for that Zip (if available–rural areas won’t have any codes). This will also have the state abbreviation, city and county. Note: this file will not include military APO/FPO records, U.S. Virgin Islands and territories in the South Pacific.
- CBSA‐List.csv - Contains CBSA Code, CBSA Name, CBSA Type (Metro, Micro), Latest Population Estimate, and Rank.
- State‐CBSA.csv - Contains State Abbreviation and CBSA number for each CBSA in a state.
- Division.csv - Contains the breakdown of each division within a CBSA. It has the latest population estimate for that division.
- CSA‐Master.csv - Contains all CSA codes and corresponding CBSA codes.
- CSA‐List.csv - This has the CBSA code, along with the name, type (Metro, Micro), latest population estimate and rank.
- State‐CSA.csv - Contains state abbreviation and CSA number for each CSA in a state.
- CBSA-full.xlsx - This is our Excel file which utilizes Edit Tables and the VLOOKUP function to make viewing / filtering our CBSA product easy. Please watch the video on our web site which demonstrates how to use this product.
- MSA-List.csv - This is the MSA Master list with the MSA or PMSA Code, Type of Code and the MSA Name describing the area covered.
- CMSA-All.csv - This is the master list of CMSAs to PMSAs.
We are licensees of USPS database products, but we enhance our data based on decades of experience to provide you with the most accurate ZIP to CBSA product available.
Affordability and Simplicity
- Low Cost
- One Year Access
- Annually Updated
- Unlimited Downloads
- Unlimited User Licensing Available
- Money Back Guarantee
Cannot be resold, transferred, or used to compete with GreatData.com (as outlined in our license agreement
View the CBSA-MSA ZIP Code Product Documentation
Watch our Accuracy Matters video
CBSA Codes Database
(Non-Medicare Core-Based Statistical Areas)
Medicare CBSA Codes Database
(Medicare Core-Based Statistical Areas)
Rural Urban ZIP Codes Database
(Rural Urban Suburban Codes)